rik-rat corn pile

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Fossil Hunting in Iowa. Lycopsid tree.

Lycopsid tree root or Stigmaria ("root")
Oh god, I just want to drag the description of this ancient plant straight off of the Wikipedia page.  That would be so much easier. Its early, guys.

Basically, we were walking around a pretty area and I saw some rocks that looked like tree stumps with the bark ripped off.  With a closer look, it was pretty obvious that these were plant fossils.  I looked them up (thanks, google) and according to the internets these were Lycopsid tree roots and are abundantly found in coal deposits (we were near a strip pit so it's appropriate that we would find these).

Now...here's the wikipedia link.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lycopodiophyta

Fossils, man.  So old.  I sound intelligent today.

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm... That was pretty interesting on wiki.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a lazy blogger today. I should be ashamed of myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey I just found you, and this is cray-zee, but you're a fossil? Paleolithic, maybe? LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. HA! That's actually a pretty damn good nerd spin off song. Good work, GM. Good work.

    ReplyDelete