rik-rat corn pile

Thursday, April 30, 2015

2nd Annual Juried Exhibition, Lush Vibes.

Well, hello.  Long time no see.  I've been a busy bastard. 

I was recently invited by Martin Nelson of FACRAG (Franklin Art Center Gallery) to jury their annual spring exhibition called Lush Vibes.  Here's my statement for the show and a few of my favorite images. Because it was a blind jury, I don't know the artists names at the moment but will post them after the opening.


Juror Statement
Lush Vibes, 2015.

I’ve experienced thirty-two midwestern winters.  We are bombarded with ice, sleet, snow, and bitter cold.  The unpredictable weather keeps us indoors and eventually affects our moods.  The severity and variety of weather has led me to this conclusion:  Midwestern winters are bipolar.  The promise of a lush spring is what gets us through.  Spring is a time to feel inspired and creative.  It’s a time to feel reborn and rejuvenated.
Winter is almost behind us and I feel like I’m finally shaking off the dust it left on me.  I felt inclined to view the work presented in Lush Vibes as responses to seasonal changes.  I saw the moodiness of each season reflected in the color, content, patterns, and anthropomorphic qualities of each piece. 
The somber isolation winter brings us is reflected in the colors and cold body language between the man and woman in The American Dream.  The oil/digital painting, The Doctor, conjures up thoughts of an infectious plague and winter days trapped inside, sick with flu.  The more playful side of winter can be seen in the geometric shapes of the porcelain plates that reminded me of ice crystals in a snowball.
But if it weren’t for the somber and sad moments of the winter would we appreciate the beauty of spring to its fullest?  The grass emerges from the soil, leaves pop out of buds, and animals leave their dens. Wet felted wool piece, Wooden Wonder and mixed media piece, Peacock Headdress look like living organisms unfurling their parts to the warm weather and the humorous piece Lush Vibrations reminds us of the randiness we associate with spring fever.  I saw the colors and soft edges of the season in abstract pieces 20. and 22.

The quality of work displayed in the 2nd annual Lush Vibes is impressive and it was an honor to be a part of the exhibition.   Thank you for inspiring me and I hope your spring and summer is filled with wonderful adventures and many artistic pursuits.  

untitled, mixed media collage.

The Doctor. Oil and Digital Painting.

Wooden Wonder. Wet Felted Wool.

No comments:

Post a Comment