rik-rat corn pile

Friday, January 18, 2013

Fossils and Curios from Iowa.

I picked up display boxes when I went to the pawn shop the other week.  Four of them.  When we got home I spent the better part of 5 hours organizing fossils.  I'm totally normal, I swear.  Obviously, not all of these objects are fossils...there's some raccoon jawbones, a boar's tooth, an old geode bit, some native American artifacts, and a Shriner pin (like the beaver?), an old ass gnawed up deer bone, petrified wood, a wheat penny, and some fool's gold.

I think the display boxes look good and in case there are any questions about the giant glass arrowhead I might as well answer it now.  While browsing the racks at the pawn shop I came across an arrowhead that was napped out of some kind of brownish grey glass.  It was made by some guy in Ottumwa, he probably pawned it for a couple of cigarettes.  The owner of the store wanted ten bucks for the thing.  I offered him five (coz it's really pretty cool) and we had a deal.  Five dollars well spent.

It's pretty cool that I found all of these things.





2 comments:

  1. I like the composition of everything. The arrow head is cool too. How long would it take to make that I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure. I'll bet it would take a lot of practice and a lot of really deep cuts before you got good.

    Interesting fact: people who hunt for arrowheads never try to learn how to make then so people don't question their finds.

    I'm kind of in love with the composition in the photograph, it's like one of the pages from an "eye spy" book.

    ReplyDelete