rik-rat corn pile

Monday, January 25, 2016

artist statement for Her Ungulating Earth.

Being totally honest about who we are isn't easy. It's never been easy for me to write artist statements that convey the full breadth of why I create something.  I tried this time...here's my artist statement.



Her Undulating Earth: Recent work by Jane Ryder


The gouache paintings of Her Undulating Earth are meditative creations. Each piece is a deep reflection of who I am and how I express my breadth of emotions.  It’s hard for me to allow an audience to understand my work as anything other than creative interpretations of a Midwestern landscape. I’m over that now. I’m ready to come out and tell my audience that sometimes I’m very sad.  My life is made up of bursts of extreme happiness followed by periods of neutral grey. I’ve learned to not fear those grey moments because they make me who I am. The grey moments encourage me to seek beauty by creating beauty.

Her Undulating Earth is inspired by the complexities of the natural world and the complexities of the human brain and soul.  The paintings were born from a desire to connect with nature and to connect with the feelings I’d prefer to ignore.  It is homage to the symbiosis within our universe and a manifestation of my spirit.

This show is dedicated to Mary Ruth Ginn and Judith Covington

No comments:

Post a Comment